Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Any Good Reads? Book Worms Where U at?



Sometimes I go through periods where I read excessively and right now I’m in the mood for a real good book. I’m thinking about heading to Barnes & Noble this week. Hmm maybe get cozy on their big sofa chair, browse through some new bestsellers all while I enjoy an Asiago-spinach stuffed pretzel from the in store Starbucks. YOU HAVE TO TRY IT OMG and make sure they toast it for you! My favorite type of books are primarily Self Help because I’M FOREVER trying to become a more motivated and positive person regardless of what life throws at me. My all time favorite is Notes to Myself: My Struggle to Become a Person by Hugh Prather. I forget how I came across this book but I know I was in my late teens. This book has had such a major impact on my life it made me realize to become a better person doesn’t mean I have to be perfect but rather embracing who I am. I highly recommended it!



From the Publisher


Reading Notes To Myself is one of those rare experiences that comes only once in a great while. The editor who discovered the book said, "When I first read Prather's manuscript it was late at night and I was tired, but by the time I finished it, I felt rested and alive. Since then I've reread it many times and it says even more to me now." The book serves as a beginning for the reader's exploration of his or her own life and as a treasury of thoughtful and insightful reminders.


Memorable Quotes:


My trouble is I analyze life instead of living it.


“You're wrong" means "I don't understand you"-I'm not seeing what you're seeing. But there is nothing wrong with you, you are simply not me and that's not wrong


Perfection is slow death. If everything were to turn out just like I would want it to, just like I would plan for it to, then I would never experience anything new; my life would be an endless repetition of stale successes. When I make a mistake I experience something unexpected.


As I look back on my life, one of the most constant and powerful things I have experienced within myself is the desire to be more than I am at the moment-an unwillingness to let myself remain where I am-a desire to do more, learn more, express more-a desire to grow, improve, accomplish, expand. I used to interpret this inner push as meaning that there was some one thing out there I wanted to do or be or have. And I have spent too much of my life trying to find it. But now I know that this energy within me is seeking more than the mate or the profession or the religion, more even than pleasure or power or meaning. It is seeking out more of me; or better, it is, thank God, flushing out more of me.


When I have listened to my mistakes I have grown.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey dionne..i found ur post so ammusing because i can totally relate. me and my friends use to veg out at B&N and flip through mags, talk about life, read books, eat pretzels( my fav is the stuffed pizza) and drink tea (vanilla decaf with milk and sugar). oh how i miss those days. one of my favorite books is by j california cooper, wild stars seeking midnight suns, it is such a thoughful book. if you want to get your mind going try reading books by osho. interestingly enough today is my first book club meeting for 2010..i wish you were closer in location so u could participate.

Miss Glam Your Favorite Socialite said...

Aww thanks Im glad u enjoyed and could relate to my post im currently reading " a thousand splendid suns" by Khaled Hosseini same author of the book Kite Runner...

I'll check out the books u mentioned this weekend :)